Friday, 5 July 2013

Sketching in the Field

Happy weekend everyone, and 4th of July for those readers south of the border. I have been busy finishing my drawings and sketchbook pages for my next SBA assignment.  It is a lot harder working outside rather than in the studio.  Especially if you live in an area with an infinite number of blood thirsty insects. So for this project I have visited my study area frequently though I often pick a few flowers and bring them home to draw.  This of course would not work if I was studying a rare or protected species of plant.  However I am fortunate that everything I am including in this next painting grows in abundance and can be found near many roadside clearings.

I have decided to include a type of wild Camomile, Matricaria discoidia that it not pictured below rather than the red clover as I am not sure I have the patience to paint the tiny florets of the clover flower.



Looking forward to posting more progress on this soon.  I am madly trying to sketch more flowers and make studies of them to use in my remaining assignments in the winter since at that time specimens are scarce.  I find that I just do not get the same inspiration from painting commercially propagated flowers compared to ones that I grow myself or that are grow in the wild.

Do you ever take the time to look closely at the flowers of "roadside weeds" in your area?






2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, my front yard has plenty of weeds to look at right now. But it's interesting to see how they pop up and what blooms if left alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Kim I am sure you are not the only one with that problem! But I bet if you look closely you will find some neat little flowers in and among the weeds. I find the tiniest flowers are always very exotic looking when carefully observed.

      Delete