Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Book Board V.1

I have been meaning to create a post about the books I have been reading lately as I read a lot.  I am part of a book club and I also work at a public library, so you could say I come across quite a few books.





1. I enjoyed the audio-book of Eckhart Tolle's Findhorn retreat lectures .  It is actually a collection of lectures he gives at the Findhorn Retreat in Scotland. It was nice to listen to him and hear his personality come out in the lectures as they are often infused with his subtle quirky humour. I feel very strongly about the importance of becoming truly present in our lives and I feel that he explains it wonderfully.

2.  I have actually read The Power of Now previously, Eckhart Tolle's first book. However I thought it would be good to read it again as in our busy lives it is easy to loose the ability to be in the "now".  I feel I can say with confidence that this book changed my life for the better.  I happen to fall victim to many of the mind identified issues he covers in this book and by learning to be the observer of my thoughts I finally felt inner peace for the first time. I can choose my thoughts and emotions rather than having them choose me!  Anyway this book may not be for everyone but if you have ever struggled with anxiety or depression or just a subtle feeling of  un-ease this book would be a good read.

3.  I came across A Discovery of Witches while working at the library and a friend mentioned to me that they may make it into a movie.  The author Deborah Harkness has done an excellent job of tying in true historical facts and literature into a compelling and interesting story.  I would say this book is a little bit, twilight, a little bit Davinci Code and little like Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Anyway I really enjoyed it and the second novel in the trilogy Shadow of Night was great too. The third book is currently being written and does not yet have a publication date. I can't wait to read it!

4. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a really interesting book that I am currently reading.  Is is only a couple hundred pages and a very quick read. I started it yesterday and am already well into the story. Neil Gaiman is also the author of the very off-beat graphic novel Coraline.  Which is a spooky story that was adapted into a movie as well.  This story certainly has an element of fantasy in it too.  I can't wait to see how the rest of it unfolds.

5. Gone Girl is a book I read with my book club a few months ago.  I wasn't sure if I would like it at first but once I got into it I could not put it down. I actually stayed up until 5am in the morning reading this book!  There is also talk of this book being made into a movie.  There are some really cool twists in the story and Gillian Flynn has done an excellent job illustrating some of the quirks and ticks that come with marriage...and then takes it a little further.  I enjoyed her writing style and also found parts of the story darkly humorous. I am interested to see who will be casted as the main character if the movie goes ahead.



2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out The Power of Now! Seems relevant to some of the issues I've had and I've been trying to read more non-fiction books lately. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good I am glad you are going to check it out. I though it would be so worth listing it even if one person discovers it and feels that it helps them. Honestly it has changed my life for the better and now I just need to re-visit here and there to get back into being in the present moment. When a friend first told me about it I has no idea what the "now" actually meant. It is amazing and well written.

    ReplyDelete