Friday, 5 April 2013

Butterflies of British Columbia

I have been researching native butterflies of B.C in preparation for a painting I am planning. I was surprised to find out just how many different species there really are. Below is a small collection of some of my favourite species.

One way you can tell the difference between butterflies and moths is by looking at the antennae.  Butterflies have club shaped antennae with a long shaft and a bulb at the end.  Moths have antennae that are feathery or saw-edged.




Satyr Comma, Pacific Orange Tip, Painted Lady, Blue Copper, White Admiral,
 Canadian Tiger Swallowtail, Monarch, & Little Copper


All pictures and information for this post were sourced from the B.C Butterfly Atlas

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time in 4 years we are not raising Painted Lady Butterflies. I'm surprised at how much I miss them. They've become a symbol of spring for me. Whereas moths are -- at least to my mind -- a harbinger of doom.

    ReplyDelete