Wednesday, 27 March 2013

March DIY Project - Willow Shoot Rooting Hormone

This month I have been inspired by the fact that gardening season will soon be upon us.  I was reading Beverly Grey's book The Boreal Herbal and found out you can use willow branches to create your own rooting hormone.  A rooting hormone is a solution you dip plant cuttings into, to help promote roots to sprout and thus turning the cutting into a little plant.  Many rooting hormones are made of chemicals and things you might want to steer clear of.  So when I found out that willow can be used instead I wanted to try it.  Willow can grow as a tree or shrub and is very abundant in my area as well as through out North America, there are many different species of willow otherwise known as Salix and any species of willow will work for this project.

I remember when I was about 6 years old my mom was in a tizzy because the neighbours decided to clear all the big trees from their yard and turned the whole thing into a paved patio. That was not her idea of a privacy or a good view. So she took matters into her own hands and started dozens of Laurel hedge cuttings to create a nice big hedge all along the fence line to eventually block out the new glaring cemented yard, complete with lawn chairs and pink flamingos. Her project succeeded and the hedge was planted and soon began to grow to the top of the fence. Since then she has also grown Hydrangeas successfully from cuttings. A few years after the Laurel hedge rebuttal, we moved away and I never saw that hedge again. I am sure if someone didn't cut it down it has now hit it's stride and is doing it's original job well.

Click here to view the printable PDF instructions for this project.

You can check out my other DIY projects on my website






9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! It is going to be so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I'm not the one with a green thumb, but I'm definitely going to show this to my hubby. Thanks, Laura!
    ~Kim
    www.2justByou.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good wгitе-up. I absolutely love this websіte.
    Continuе the gоod worκ!

    my site :: what causes hemorrhoids

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome in support of me to have a site, which is good for my knowledge. thanks admin

    my blog :: heal hemorrhoids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you hаѵe a sρаm pгоblem οn this site; I
    also am a blogger, anԁ I ωаѕ wondеring your situatiοn;
    we hаve cгeated some niсe procedures
    and ωe are looking tο trade techniques ωith other folκs, be sure to shοot me an email іf intereѕteԁ.


    my blog post ... Hemorroides

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, i belіevе that i noticed you vіsіteԁ mу wеb sіte thus i camе to return the ωant?
    .I аm attеmρting to find iѕsues
    to improve my wеbsіte!I guess its ok
    to make use оf sοme of your ideas!!


    Also ѵіsit my ωeb ѕіte; die Abnehm Lösung

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hі there і аm kavin, іts my firѕt time to commenting anywheгe, when i rеad thіs
    aгtiсle i thought i could also cгeate сomment ԁue tο thiѕ senѕiblе post.


    Also viѕіt mу blοg post: hemroids

    ReplyDelete