Thursday, 14 February 2013

Cupcake Icing Naturally Coloured Pink with Beet Juice




Today I decided to make bright pink cream cheese icing for my chocolate cupcakes.  Red food dye has never agreed with me, so I used beet juice to make the icing pink instead.  It was really easy and you do not taste the beet juice at all. I hope you get a chance to try it out. I also added some pictures and info on the best way to pipe out the icing in this lovely shape onto the cupcakes.  If you would like to download the full printable version of this recipe visit my website

Recipe

1/2 cup butter, room temperature 
1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
 2 1/2 cups of icing sugar, sifted 
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract 1 beet to yield 2-4 tbsp of beet juice

You can use a juicer to juice the beet but if you do not have a juicer you can use a blender or food processor.

Method
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese together with a mixer. 
2. Peel and trim the beet, chop into small pieces and add to a blender or
food processor. 
3. Blend/process the beet until it is a rough pulp. 
4. Set up a fine mesh strainer over a bowl, pour any beet juice and all the
pulp into the strainer. 
5. Drain the juice and then press the pulp into the strainer to get as much
of the remaining juice as possible. 
6. Now you have a little bowl of beet juice. 
7. Discard the spent beet pulp. 
8. Add the icing sugar, vanilla, and beet juice then mix until smooth. 
9. Place the icing in the fridge for at least one hour to chill for best results.
Especially if you are piping the icing onto the cupcakes. Otherwise it will not hold the shape very well.


14 comments:

  1. Wow! Cool way to use some beet juice! Those cupcakes look tasty.
    Hope you had a great Valentine's Day,
    Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, hope you had a good time too :)

      Delete
  2. Those cupcakes look amazing! I love the idea of incorporating something healthy like beet juice into the mix too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly

      Yes I had been wanting to try it for a while. I am now working on some experiments to use natural food based dyes to make other colours.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I just (ironically) tried beets for maybe the second time tonight after getting some in a local veggie co-op. Love this recipe and the idea to use beet juice! Found you via the Meet n Greet blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cupcakes are beautiful! Great idea to use beets for coloring! I love beets! Thei color is so rich and they are so good for you!
    Found you at the meet and greet and following!
    Sandy
    www.savardstudios.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog!!
    There's a giveaway on my blog! You'll be welcome!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh It looks really yummy**
    you have grat DIY here in your blog, I loved it :)
    visit mine :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so good, I like the cup cake lining too.

    visiting from pret-a-vivre.com via meet & greet blog hop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I know its worrisome when you think of what they add to our foods. I know they allow things in this country (food dye) that is banned in many other countries.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cupcakes look delish! When I first read that it had beet juice in it I thought that it would have a funny taste. But im glad you cleared that up. Glad the icing tasted good! Im now following you back!
    http://www.navywif33.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I found your blog before Valentine's Day! These cupcakes look *so* good! Thanks for providing free DIY Projects on your website! I'll definitely have to try a few. :)

    Alex[andra]
    letlifebelikemusic.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummm... these cupcakes look fab! :) x

    I'm your newest follower on GFC (Juliana Rego) and bloglovin' (buzzingtrends) -- found your blog on Laurie's blog hop

    Juliana x
    http://buzzingtrends.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete