Friday, 1 February 2013

Cherries Watercolour Painting



Happy Friday everyone!  Here are my cherries finally finished as a painting.  Painting in watercolour definitely takes longer than drawing in pencil.  This is an assignment for the Botanical Illustration course I am taking right now through the Society of Botanical Artists. I used quite a few different reds to get the cherries depth of colour, including Winsor Red, Alizaron Crimson, Quinacridone Red, Perylene Maroon, and Permanent Rose. Though if you look at the colour chart on the Winsor & Newton website you will see that there are tons of other reds to choose from besides those ones.  I try to paint with transparent colours rather than opaque. And I try to stay of away from all paints containing Cadmium, since it is toxic and bad for the environment. I also added blue and yellows to the reds to either warm up or cool down the colour.  This is assignment 7 out of 12 plus 3 portfolio pieces. So if all goes well I will get my diploma in March 2014. Seems like I have a LONG way to go yet and many hours toiling over the easel.  Could be worse though as I love painting and even when I am frustrated I am still thankful that I am able to learn and improve.

I am not sure what species of cherries these are. When I first got them from the store they were quite red and unripe looking. Though towards the end  they turned that deep black cherry colour. That is one of the challenges in botanical art, the colour of your subject is constantly changing as you work. 

Next assignment is on vegetables, not sure what I am going to pick yet.  Savoy Cabbage is definitely off the table, way too much detail.  What vegetable do you think I should paint?








6 comments:

  1. hi, i'm following the "meet and greet" blog hop . i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    new follow bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing! Using all those different colors definitely paid off! And thanks for the heads up on cadmium.

    As for vegetables... how about atrichokes? I bet those would turn out beautifully<3

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you like the cherries. Yes an Artichoke would be a good subject. I will have to see if I can find a fresh one this time of year....I will keep a look out. Good idea.

      Delete
  3. This turned out amazing! The different shades you used work so good together, and I love the names too, like Alizaron Crimson.

    I vote for pumpkins, always an interesting subject :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! Yes I really tried to focus on capturing the depth of colour this time. Painting such a small area it is easy to loose all the subtle colour variations. Oh a Pumpkin would be fun, lots of nice contour lines to follow to create form. I will keep that in mind.

      Delete
  4. I love the cherries!
    I'm not sure what kind of veggie I'd like to see drawn or painted...Maybe a variety of squash? There are so many different types, it might be fun to see a few of the varieties together?
    On another note - I saw an awesome photo of pistachios the other day...Thought it was cool. Pistachios aren't something you see photographed very much, and I've never seen a painting or drawing of them either.

    ~Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete