Monday, 14 January 2013

Cherries Drawn in Pencil

These are my cherries I have worked laboriously on for the last week.  This is a study I have done to prepare for a painting I am going to do.  I used 3 pencils for this drawing, H, HB and B, as well as a 0.3 mechanical HB pencil for some of the very fine lines, and a kneaded eraser to lift out some additional highlights.

It is always best to start with a pencil drawing when planning a watercolour painting. I love that when you make a mistake in pencil it can just be erased!  Since watercolour paint can be less forgiving than oil and acrylic. With watercolour paint, the beauty of the medium is also it's occasional downfall.   The colours are very transparent and so with patience many thin layers applied can yield a lovely luminous painting.  However it also means that mistakes made such as waterlines, muddy colours or incorrect lighting are often very hard or impossible to fix.  Doing a pencil drawing first allows you time to adjust lighting and also make sure you have nice wide range of values.


Well after all that I hope I "wow" you with the painting in a few short weeks. 








11 comments:

  1. Seriously amazing! I can't believe you drew that! I can't wait to see the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy :)
      yes it takes a little time but pays off. Each cherry takes me and hour or more to do.

      L

      Delete
  2. Thank you for joining the blog hop last week! Your drawing is really great!!
    Keep up the good work!
    -Steph
    from A Geek In GLasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes glad I found the blog hop what a great idea

      Delete
  3. Looking good around here!!! Nice work:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've wow'ed me now with the sketch!!! I think that, alone, is frame worthy. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy

      That is really nice of you to say. Yes I would like to frame this one. Though it started as a practice study and so I did on a irregular size of paper so I may need to cut a special mat for it first.

      Delete
  5. Wow! I'm always awestruck (and maybe a little jealous) of artists like you who can translate things onto paper like that. The shading is beautiful and can't wait to see the finished painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly

      Yes I have high hopes for the painting however now hope that I can get to the same level with it as the pencil study. We will see, funny I always feel I have so much to learn and am still journeying to the point where I will become a "real artist". lol

      L

      Delete